Monday, June 22, 2015

Preview Review: The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George


the lowdown
Perdu is the owner of the Literary Apothecary. He is able to see into the soul of people and figure out which books they need during that moment in their lives. all except himself. He was left heartbroken by a women and all he has left is a letter he refused to open 20 years ago. He goes on a journey to the South of France to finish his story and find peace.

When I first saw this book I was hesitant to order it. I am glad I did because it opened my eyes to a new way of looking at books. Usually we see them as a way to distract ourselves from reality and to get away from it all. This book shows how books can actually give you the comfort you seek or the help you need. Books open doors to feelings you haven't felt before or the ones you need to feel again. Nina George captures the beauty of Perdu and his 'readings' of people and what they need a dose of in their lives. She is able to pull you into this place where you can find yourself.

Pick up your copy of The Little Paris Bookshop on Tuesday, June 23 at a bookstore near you!

the good
  • Its a wonderful storyline and its a book that I really enjoyed. Nine George captures you and brings you into this Literary Apothecary and it made me want to visit. Perdu is someone who everyone can relate to because that heartbreak he goes through makes him who he is how he has to overcome this hurt. 
  • The characters are very well developed and I am able to distinguish each of them and imagine them in all their glory. You can tell Nina George took her time to develop these characters and give them a backstory, a history, for Perdu to be able to connect with them on some level.

the bad
  • The writing of the book can be confusing at some points. It may be since it is set in France that the french throws is off but I did find myself having to reread a few sentences to make sure I was understand what was going on.
  • It is a bit hard to get into at first. The book does start off a bit slow but as you keep reading you get sucked into the life and ongoings of Perdu. Like I mentioned above, its confusing and thats what made it hard to get into at first.

the quote
"Books are more than doctors, of course. Some novels are loving, lifelong companions;some give you a clip around the ear; others are friends who wrap you in warm towels when you've got those autumn blues. And some...well, some are pink candy floss that tingles in your brain for three seconds and leaves a blissful voice. Like a short, torrid love affair."

skip it/borrow it/buy it
 I would buy it because it is a book I would pick up again and reread over and over again. It is a light read and allows for one to think over past books they have read to see if they have helped in some way.

overall score:8/10
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I received this book from Blogging For Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment