Friday, June 26, 2015

Guest Review: Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca

guest review into
Hi everyone! My name is Leticia. As was mentioned in the Sunday Preview, I am the younger sister to Laura. I'm a sophomore in high school. I enjoy hanging out with friends, shopping, and reading. The main genre I read is young adult and some mystery. I hope you enjoy my review and I look forward to reviewing some more in the future.

the lowdown
Before freshman year of high school Kelsey and David became best friends. One night changed all of that when Kelsey became the talk of the school. Her parents told Kelsey that they would be moving away. Kelsey saw this as a opportunity to restart her life and leave behind everything that has happened. Now it's senior year: Kelsey has a new group of friends, a baseball player for her boyfriend, and popularity. Everything is perfect until David comes to town. Everything that Kelsey has built is falling apart little by little. The more time she spends with David, the more she sees she can never let go of him.

I really enjoyed this book because it lays out every detail to perfection. Gina Ciocca made it feel like I was watching everything play out in my head and she made me want to leap into the book and join along. This book is real in focusing on the high school life, which is great since I am currently in high school and I can relate. Last Year's Mistake is a book that really captured my attention. I could re-read this book a million times.

the good
  • While I was reading this book I felt like I was in the book. Like I was one of the characters. Gina really drew me in and I wanted to belong and to join in on everything that was happening in the book.
  • The characters that are portrayed in this book are like teens these days. They have boy drama in real life and in the book. This made everything seem like high school life today for me and my friends.
  • I really love the way the author wrote the book. She really understands how teen girls feel and how they react to situations in the book. And she was able to portray that in her writing.
the bad
  • The book could have really had more things going on between Kelsey and her boyfriend. The drama was there but it could have stood to be a bit more spiced up and to bring more to the storyline.
  • It could also have had more description about school wise. Like their classes, and how the school layout was. Maybe something to help picture everything in my head a bit more clearly.

the quote
"Violet's hand shot into the air. "Mr. Ingles? Wasn't Shakespeare gay?'... Mr. Ingles grabbed the back of his chair and leaned on it. "It's a highly debated topic, Ms. Kensing. Shakespeare was, of course, married to a woman, and he fathered several children." "But that doesn't mean anything, right? He could have been trying to hide it."

skip it/borrow it/buy it
 This book is one that I recommend that every teenager should have on their book shelf. I would have to say buy it!

overall score:10/10
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

No comments:

Post a Comment