Monday, June 8, 2015

Review: Going Off Script by Giuliana Rancic



the lowdown

From the Fashion Police and E! News host Giuliana Rancic, comes this hilarious new book about her childhood, life with Bill, surviving cancer and achieving her success on television. In twelve chapters, Giuliana is able to transport you into all these moments in her life and she gives us a sense of actually knowing her. Giuliana becomes a best friend you never knew you had.

I adored, absolutely adored the book. I am a big fan of Giuliana Rancic and when I heard she was releasing this book, I went to the store and bought it right away. and I am so happy I did. If you have ever seen her show or caught her on Fashion Police or E!News, you know she's hilarious and she was able to transfer that into her book. She touches on her hardships of making it into 'the biz,' her life with her husband Bill and son Duke, her cancer and infertility struggles, and on the heartbreaking death of her friend and cohost Joan Rivers. All of her ups and downs are chronicled in her book and its a must read for those looking for a good, kickback, beach read.


the good
  • Giuliana takes you through her childhood and how she achieved her success in making it in "the biz". She's able to walk you through her life as a rebel child and how she paved her own way in the E! network. She really worked hard to make a name for herself.
  • Joan Rivers was a great friend and mentor and when I got the chapter about her, I cried. She truly inspired Giuliana and the way she wrote about her made me feel like I knew her and I could vision Joan doing and saying all these things Giuliana was writing about. 
  • The hilariousness in the book was amazing. Having watched Giuliana on all her shows, I could hear her voice as I read and all her jokes made for a read that was easy and relatable. She's witty and humorous and when you read, you can sense her feelings as she was experiencing them and reliving them while writing the book. 

the bad
  • Giuliana has this habit of sometimes being a bit over dramatic in her stories, but who isn't. Its well written but sometimes it can be slow and then it can pick up right away. The rollercoaster of some emotions and stories can suggest that it wasn't edited that well.
  • The stories in some areas are linked back into another chapter and it would have been helpful if she had just done one chapter about it. For example, she brings up Joan early on in the book, but I felt like that would have fit in better with the chapter on Joan instead. The connection of stories is very important and its something the editor could have remarked on.
  • She dived into the making of her tv show with her husband, Giuliana and Bill, and it did give an insight into the struggles they faced but at the same time, I think she could have talked a bit more about Bill because he is a part of her and she only mentions him a bit as well as her son Duke. 
the quote

""Will you marry me?" he asked.
I pretended I couldn't hear him over the whir of the helicopter's propeller, but really I just wanted to hear him say it again. And again.
"Yes!" I finally answered. He slipped the ring onto my finger.
...
Later, when I went to the bathroom, Bill heard a sudden yelp. "Holy crap!"
"Honey, what's wrong?" he called.
"This ring is innnnsannnnnne!" I shouted back. I hadn't looked at it in the light yet."

If you have ever heard her tell stories, you know that hearing this in your head as she would say it is the most hilarious thing ever.

skip it/borrow it/buy it

I absolutely loved this book. I couldn't put it down and I recommend you run out and buy it! Its a great book to have on your book shelf and pick up and read when you want a kick-back book. Its everything rolled into one.

overall score: 10/10

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

No comments:

Post a Comment