Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Review: Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Dave


the lowdown
30 year old Georgia Ford has returned to her family's vineyard a week before her wedding. She has found out the secret her fiancé, Ben, has been keeping from her and now she doesn't know if she can trust him. She comes home to get away from all the secrets and the lies, only to find out, her family has more secrets than she's prepared to know. Now, Georgia must come to terms with everything and decide how she'll let Ben's secret define their future together.

I read this book in a day and I could not put it down! I was sad when the book was over but was so elated with the ending. Laura Dave is able to capture you and you never want to let go. This book is now in my top 10. I loved every moment and I wanted to go into the book and sit there with the Ford family and see the sunsets, the fog rolling into the vineyard and to smell the grapes as the harvest came to an end. Because of this book, Sonoma County is now on my list of places to visit. I chose this book because the cover is beautiful but the summary captured my attention; plus, it was about wine, my favorite kind of grape. :) Laura is able to capture the beauty and the essence of Sonoma and transfer it to paper. This book is a great summer read and I guarantee you'll want to pour yourself a cup of your favorite wine and sit back and take in the moment.

the good
  • The underlying point of the book is about learning to follow your heart and Laura is able to do this so beautiful. She adds situations where the characters are faced with having to make a decision and the overall lesson is to follow your heart and make decisions where you'll be happy.
  • The characters were so real and prominent and I loved how you start off reading this and you begin to think that these characters aren't going to get deep but then, they surprise you. You become captured by their personalities and they become your friends; you just want them to be happy and to make the right choices. I kept finding myself wishing I could share a glass of wine and listen to their stories. If an author makes you feel this way about their characters, you know that they've done their jobs.
  • The descriptions were so beautiful and detailed. I felt like I could picture it and could see myself standing there in the middle of the vineyard watching everything happen. I could smell the grapes and see the process by which wine making goes through. Every last detail was as it should be and it gave the book the essence it needs to capture its reader. 
the bad
  • One of the things I found bad about this book were the run-ons and the fragments made throughout the book. Some books have them and you hardly notice; with this one you really don't see them until the end of the book. That's where they are more prominent. 
the quote
This book had so many quotes to go along with the storyline and lessons. So picking one is just cruel so I picked three.

"You have to grow about eight hundred grapes to get just one bottle of wine. If that isn't an argument to finish the bottle, I don't know what is."-Anonymous

"Synchronization. Systems operating with all their parts in synchrony, said to be synchronous, or in sync. The interrelationship of things that might normally exist separately.
In physics: It's called simultaneity. In music: rhythm.
In your life: epic failure."

"Ranking and blending were the primary ways my father interacted with the grapes once they were off the vine. Racking involved transferring wine from one container to another, to get rid of the sediment that might have settled, to allow the wine to aerate better. Then, after the wine was racked, came the blending. My father blended different clones, one or several, depending on what the wine needed. The initial barrel wines were more like spices in a stew. The final product was the joining of the different close, the making of the stew. That was the job. Like you were a chef. You had to see what belonged together."

skip it/borrow it/buy it
 Run, don't walk, to the nearest store and buy it! It's a great summer read and one chick-lit you'll want to have to read over and over again.

overall score:10/10
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

No comments:

Post a Comment