Monday, July 27, 2015

Review: Killing Monica by Candace Bushnell


the lowdown
Pandy "PJ" Wallis is a successful author of the Monica books which have lead to blockbuster movies. When she decides to attempt a historical novel based on her ancestor, her publisher tells her no. With a failing marriage and her friendship with ShondaBeth Schnowzer, onscreen Monica, up in flames, Pandy decides to reinvent herself. But in order to do so, she'll need to reconcile with ShondaBeth and hope she won't ruin any of her plans.

Killing Monica is a good book to read while passing the time. I enjoyed how descriptive Bushnell is and how the storyline is very interesting. She is able to capture you in the beginning and you get hooked and you want to know what Pandy does and how she maneuvers around the social world of NYC while people tell her they love Monica. This is a good chik-lit if you are in the mood for something like that and want an easy read as well. It's not as good as her past works, but it does live up to expectations.

the good
  • The characters are very relateable and you end up rooting for all of them to find their own path in this crazy world. The main character, Pandy, does remind me of Carrie Bradshaw and I liked the history Pandy has and how Monica came to be.
  • The book is an easy read. I found myself flying through some of the chapters. I enjoyed being able to read so much in such little time and feel a sense of accomplishment.
  • The storyline is very entertaining and as always, Bushnell does a great job in the visualization and making the words describe places in Manhattan so real. 

the bad
  • Bushnell makes a habit of flipping through past and present and bringing up memories and sticking them into the middle of the chapter. It made me lose focus sometimes and I would have to go back and reread the chapter to make sure I was reading it correctly.
  • Sometimes the book did get a bit bland and I would find myself skimming a few paragraphs. I wanted it to be a bit more juicy like her past books. Bushnell  just needs to add a few more interesting items and more organization to the book.

the quote
"ShondraBeth motioned wildly for Pandy to hand her the phone so she could give him instructions. And then, like two teenage girls who have just pulled a prank on a boy they both have a crush on, they collapsed onto the table in riotous laughter."

skip it/borrow it/buy it
 I would recommend you borrow it first and then decide if you want to add it to your collection.

overall score:6/10
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

No comments:

Post a Comment